OT: majordomo and ezmlm are so uncool

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Dec 11 14:29:11 UTC 2013

I've been trying to work out how spamassassin works
in the postfix/amavis context.
(Either the quantity of spam email has decreased dramatically,
or spamassassin is working for me, but how?)

I've been trying to join the spamassassin-users and postfix-users
mailing lists so that I can pursue this query, hopefully on gmail,
and have found this simple task beyond me.

Amazingly, spamassassin-users - under the auspices of apache! -
uses the ezmlm mailing-list software,
which according to Wikipedia has not been updated since 1997,
and which "only works with the qmail mail transfer agent".
(Can this really be true?)

Almost as weird, postfix-users - under the auspices of sourceforge -
uses majordomo (last release 13 years ago) which I thought
was displaced by mailman at least 10 years ago.
Unsurprisingly, it provides me with a totally-garbled digest, starting
---------
Digest of postfix-users list Tuesday, December 3 2013 Volume 01 :
  Number 3910

[none]
[none]
[none]
---------

What is the attraction of these decrepit mailing-list programs?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net