install fedora via usb stick

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Dec 11 22:23:57 UTC 2013

| From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com>

| Anyone know why there are so many complicated ways listed?

The LiveUSB creator lets you

1) add to an existing FAT filesystem without losing what's already
   there

2) create a persistent store so changes you make on the live
   system will be there next time you boot.
   (But I've had some live USBs stop working, perhaps due to this.)

What it won't let you do is create a Live USB out of an installation
.iso.  It will silently build the USB but the USB won't work.  It
would be nice if the Live USB creator refused to attempt this.

dd ought to be faster.

|  Does the
| obvious dd not work for some people?  I've been doing the following for
| my clean installs for ages.

|       dd if=Fedora-Live-Desktop-x86_64-20-XX.iso of=/dev/sde bs=1M

I've found that the dd will be considerably faster if you add oflag=direct