how to (properly) shut down a fedora 20 virtual machine?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Dec 17 19:57:01 UTC 2013

On Dec 17, 2013, at 12:47 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> Quoting Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us>:
>
>> On 12/17/2013 11:16 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>> If you do it within the VM, what result do you get with 'poweroff'? systemd maps init 0 to poweroff, as of course there is no init with systemd, but it maintains compatibility with init scripts so I expect init 0 to work the same as poweroff.
>>
>> I don't know how the mapping is done, but if it were me, init would be a simple bash script with a case statement that made the requested system call depending on the argument.  Just a thought.
>
>  at this point, i'm not sure how much more helpful i can be.
> is anyone else seeing this behaviour? be annoying to find out
> it's just me. :-(

I've seen it before, in the F18/19 time frame my recollection was it always was like this.

But the last ~6 months I connect to the host computer via 'ssh blah at f20s.local -L 5900:127.0.0.1:5900' and use virsh to manipulate the VM from the outside, and TigerVNC pointed to 127.0.0.1 to control the VM from the inside, as well as ssh. Therefore I'm not regularly using virt-manager.

Chris Murphy