Fedora-20 beta -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Dec 17 19:57:56 UTC 2013

On 17/12/13 14:25, Joe Zeff wrote:
> Why be in such a hurry to upgrade?  Is being an early adopter that
> important to you?  On the first day or so of a new release, the repos
> are going to be slammed, just as the MS servers are on Patch Tuesday.
> And, of course, there's always the few (we hope) bugs and glitches
> that didn't get caught in beta-testing.  I always wait at least a
> week, to see how things are going, and then I only upgrade my laptop.
> My desktop, and main work machine, can wait until I'm sure that the
> laptop's OK.  And, if I see large numbers of threads here and on the
> various web fora about upgrade issues, I'll wait even longer,
> sometimes skipping a version if it seems buggier than normal.  Of
> course, I'm only responsible for my own boxes at home, and being
> retired have no work boxes to consider, but I'd think that a little
> bit of patience might be a good thing here.  YMMV, and clearly does,
> but I do wonder a tad about what's the big rush.  (If you have a good
> reason, such as a need for the newest version of something, of course,
> that's different.  It's just the "change for the sake of change"
> attitude that I don't quite understand.)

Joe, if I must justify my actions, and I question that, there's no "big
rush" it's just another form of amusement for me. I had been running
F-20 in VMware and decided it worked well enough to use. The hard drive
on which F-19 is installed was becoming too full. I installed a larger
drive from an F-16 computer that failed several weeks ago and decided I
would move my work into the larger drive, why not with F-20 beta which I
already knew was good to go?" So here I am. I still have F-19 available
on this computer if I mess up anything as well as having a second F-19
computer configured to be like this one and can swap configuration files
back and fourth as well as storing copies on an NFS server. The more I
mess with this stuff the better my ability becomes at manipulating
things and I solve most of the problems I create, only come here when I
have to.

Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD