What hath Gnome wrought?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 01:54:31 UTC 2013

OK, X was working well on my Samsung TV because at some point
they introduced a "quirk" that informed the world that
the idiots at Samsung set the size of the TV to 160x90
just to get the aspect ratio right in the EDID info, so
Xorg.0.log says things like this:

[     4.694] (II) Quirked EDID physical size to 0x0 cm

then later the intel video driver arbitrarily does this:

[     4.695] (==) intel(0): DPI set to (96, 96)

Now, in Fedora 20, the Gnomes are apparently going to
some vast amount of trouble to ignore the X DPI, and
dig up the low level EDID provided display size in order
to utterly screw everything up and make the characters
on my screen be about the size of baseballs.

Curse all "helpful" software to the uttermost depths
of hades!

Anyone know how to get latest gnome to believe the DPI
setting and not blow up 12pt fonts to gigantic
proportions?