SSD Partitioning OP/Trim recommendations

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Dec 18 13:38:15 UTC 2013

On 12/18/2013 08:15 AM, John Obaterspok wrote:

> 2013/12/18 Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com
> <mailto:rgm at htt-consult.com>>
>

>     On 12/18/2013 04:41 AM, John Obaterspok wrote:
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     I'm going to setup F20 with a new SSD disk (256gb Samsung 840
>>     PRO) and was wondering about best practices for Over Provisioning
>>     during partitioning.
>
>     hmmm.  I just ordered a Crucial M500 256GB SSD for my new
>     install.  I thought I would have it all to work with (currently
>     using a 320GB HD, so that is a 64GB reduction already).  Are you
>     implying here that you need to not use all of the SSD drive so
>     that it has some swap around?
>

> I guess it's really depending on what SSD you are using. I'm not sure
> though, that's why I'm asking.

I am doing some more reading on the wiki and found one article
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Acer_Aspire_One) that discourages using
swap on the SSD becuase of slow write times.  Is that still true?

Also discourages using LVM.  I have often wondered why I use LVM on my
notebooks; I don't see the gain over just plain EXT4 partitions. I have
read a number of articles and I can't find any solid advantage.