old FC haceked system

Mark Haney mhaney at practichem.com
Wed Dec 18 18:03:13 UTC 2013

See comments inline.

On 12/18/2013 12:49 PM, bruce wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Got an old FC system that was hacked. - I know - my own fault
> (perhaps) should have updated, etc,,,

How do you know you were hacked?

> The system is vital, need to extract all/as much of the files from
> the 700G drive as possible. I'm going to blow away the corrupt
> system, replacing the system with centos 6.5.

No backups?  I'd be /very/ careful pulling data off the old system.
Depending on how recent the intrusion is, I'd almost go back to the
most recent /safe/ backup and start from there.

> On the corrupted machine, when it was setup, the partitions where
> such that most of the data was written to the /apps partition - so
> hopefully most of what I really need will be there. However, I'm
> pretty sure that a chunk of other useful/critical stuff was placed
> on other dirs within the drive.
>
> I'd like comments/suggestions on my approach to resolve the issue:
>
> -Setup new machine with a couple of drive bays

What I would do is setup the 'new' machine to boot from a flash drive
(like a live CD of CentOS) in order to recover the data.  This way you
can at least be certain the installed OS on the new machine will never
see or use the hacked drive.  (See comment above about backups.)

> -take the corrupted drive, insert it in new machine's drive bay
> -insert clean 750G drive in the other drive bay -from the new
> machine, do a complete "find" on the corrupted drive to get a
> "complete" list of files/dirs/tree

I don't know about anyone else, but I know what and where my critical
data resides.  (Not a helpful comment as much as an FYI for the future.)

> -go down the list, identifying the initial dirs/files that are
> important/data, that aren't part of the OS --copy these dirs/files
> to a tmp area on the clean drive, maintaining the dir structure
> -repeat this process untill I pretty much get the data files
> (txt/py/pl/php/etc..) --go through a complete process, trying to
> identify all the apps/functions that were added to the corrupt
> system. -identify these apps, as well as the rpms required to
> generate the functions -create a script to auto install these
> apps/functions from the associated centos/associated centos repos
> -handle all mysql stuff by doing a mysqldump from the good
> machine,

IIRC, you'll need to attach those DBS to a mysql instance to do a
dump, which means potentially exposing your new system.  If that's the
case, LiveCDs are the way to go.  Be careful here though, MySQL
versions should be the same or close to it or they won't play nice.

> reading the mysql data from the corrupted drive, and then copying
> reinserting the mysql data into the new mysql on the clean/tmp
> machine -identify any dev languages/environments
> (py/gearman/perl/php/etc..) and the required rpms to install or run
> to recreate the env on the clean/tmp machine
>
> -identify all of the "services" running on the corrupt
> system/drive, and clean/install the rpms/services on the clean/tmp
> machine/drive -change all ssh keys for the new clean/tmp
> drive/machine.. -change all passwds on the new machine -for any web
> sites, change all passwds

You don't know what services you run on the hacked system?  If you
don't, I'd probably start with the bare minimum of what I recalled I
ran and go from there.

> -the goal is to recreate the file system/dirs/files from the
> corrupt machine/drive on the new clean/tmp machine as much as
> possible
>

> -however, once I've gone through all of the above, I still need to
> know how to lock down services, how to harden the overall system..

I'll be glad to help offlist if you like.  I've rebuilt my share of
hacked systems, so I might be able to offer some ideas.

--
Mark Haney
Network Administrator/IT Support