SSD Partitioning OP/Trim recommendations

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Dec 18 20:59:56 UTC 2013

On 12/18/2013 03:44 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2013, at 1:38 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>> My Lenovo x120e supposedly has the sata3 chipset, but only sata2 enabled.  According to a few forums that I found when looking for what type of drive to buy for this laptop.  Some think the sata2 option is to upsell the x220.
> For SSD you'll almost certainly want SATA rev 3.0 enabled. The bandwidth is 300MBs vs 600MB/s. By running SATA rev. 2 you're bandwidth limiting your hardware.

And sata2 is better with a HD than a SSD?  All the comments I found said
that Linux was seeing the drive as sata2, even though the chipset
supported sata3.  No workarounds, and the posts were not that old.  Well
we will see when the drive comes.

I have been having wierd behaviour here, like audio turning off. Can't
tell if it is software (old and who knows what is running now) or
hardware.  If f20 does not fix all the issues (USB sticks, but not
drives, audio, external vga turning off then back on), it is time to get
a new box.  But I am budget limited and x120e is at a nice price.  I
will only get a 12" laptop with an eraserhead mouse button.