What to try instead of gnome - Re: f20 - gedit

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Dec 19 00:32:41 UTC 2013

On 12/18/2013 02:20 PM, Dennis Kaptain wrote:
> Mate is a fork of Gnome2. I use it and like it a lot.
>

> 2013/12/18 Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com
> <mailto:rgm at htt-consult.com>>
>

>     On 12/18/2013 04:21 PM, Dan Thurman wrote:
>>     On 12/18/2013 01:07 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:

>>>     I'm pretty sure it does. When I run GTK apps under FVWM, they actually
>>>     get buttons in the app itself where they belong.*Yet another reason
>>>     to run as far away from Gnome as possible.*
>>     1+
>
>     I am getting so close to pulling the plug on gnome.  Just getting
>     too hard to use with a mouse and keyboard.
>
>     would like to get back to something close to gnome 2. Like I still
>     have on my Centos boxes.

I have MATE running on F18 - and it has a ways to go with
~/.gnome2 as opposed to ~/.gnome(3) user settings. MATE
fails to save workspace settings, fails menu "reorganizations",
uses caja/nautilus inconsistently, semi-fails XDMCP (Cannot
log in remotely-unable to enter password), 'motion' does
not work well on httpd+web browser and so on. There is more
HD bloat (gnome2+gnome3) and it is a performance hog so
a speedy MOBO/CPU/RAM is needed. The look and feel is pretty
good, but it can get ugly sometimes.

I hope MATE & applications catches up to what it was before gnome-3.