gmvault fails on fedora 17

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Thu Dec 19 06:32:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 10:22:18 AM +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:

> The first thing they will say is you are using an unsupported Fedora
> release.  http://gmvault.org/report_pb.html

First, albeit not worth discussing here, there ARE reasons why that
specific box still has to be on Fedora 17 for a little while.

Second, I had already posted a detailed trouble report to the gmvault
group before posting here. No answer so far, we'll see.

In any case, in general, utilities like this and their maintainers
couldn't care less of the **Fedora** version. They only care about
specific versions of python/perl or some of their modules, not whether
or not the underlying distro version is still supported by its
distributors.

And so far all the many tools like this that I am running, all much
newer than Fedora 17, and several newer than this gmvault version,
have had no issue at all with being on an "unsupported version". That
same box is also running several other, recent Python scripts that
process email and/or interact with other Web services without any
issue.

Finally, in the past I've had several cases of programs like this
failing not because the **version** of some package or module was too
old or too new, but simply because the **configuration** or some
default value was different.

This is why, while being perfectly aware that Fedora 17 is
unsupported, that even those other packages may stop working etc.. I'd
really like to know what, exactly, makes gmvault fail in that way, on
that system.

	Thanks,
			Marco
--