What to try instead of gnome - Re: f20 - gedit

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 19 16:02:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-12-18 at 17:32 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> On 12/18/2013 05:20 PM, Dennis Kaptain wrote:
>
> > Mate is a fork of Gnome2. I use it and like it a lot.
>
> This is selectable at install?

The desktop environments that you can select at install time are pretty
limited; I don't think MATE is on the list (although I could be wrong).
But it's easily added after install with "yum groupinstall 'MATE
Desktop'"

I'm not a Gnome 3 hater, I actually like it for the most part, now that
it's a lot more customizable than it was when it first came out. But I
still have some use cases where it doesn't work so well. For one thing,
I have not yet figured out a way to launch an application on the second
monitor of a dual-head setup. Even if the launch icon is located on the
second screen, it always launches on the first screen. I can then move
it over manually, but this isn't really a good option when the two
"monitors" are really two different inputs to the same output device,
and the application is windowless full-screen. MATE has the same issue.
I ended up having to use Xfce on those machines. It's nice that there
are choices.

--Greg