FedUp 18 -> 19 Orphans

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Thu Dec 19 18:48:16 UTC 2013

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013, Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:

> I just updated from Fedora 18 to 19 with fedup.
>
> After the update I have many orphaned packages :
>
> # package-cleanup --orphans | wc -l
> 635
>
> When I examine them I see things like fedora-release, zlib, and such.
>
> They mostly exist alongside their identical fedora 19 versions :
>
> # package-cleanup --orphans | grep libogg
> libogg-1.3.0-5.fc18.x86_64
> # yum list libogg
> Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, verify
> Installed Packages
> libogg.x86_64   2:1.3.0-5.fc18   installed
> libogg.i686     2:1.3.0-5.fc19   installed
> libogg.x86_64   2:1.3.0-5.fc19   installed
>
> Any idea what's going on?

You seem to have had an incomplete update. You will need to tidy up
manually, eg. with package-cleanup --dupes and package-cleanup
--cleandupes . You may also need to use yum or rpm to remove some of the
duplicates by hand if package-cleanup can't work out how to solve all the
dependencies.

 	Michael Young