f20 - gedit

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Dec 20 01:21:32 UTC 2013


On 12/19/2013 08:13 PM, Dan Thurman wrote:
> On 12/19/2013 05:05 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>> On 12/19/2013 07:45 PM, "Germán A. Racca" wrote:
>>> On 12/19/2013 09:32 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>>>
>>>> On 12/19/2013 07:16 PM, "Germán A. Racca" wrote:
>>>>> On 12/19/2013 07:22 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On 12/19/2013 08:35 AM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
>>>>>>> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 08:05:49AM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Confirm
>>>>>>>>> used dconf-editor instead to set the overrides and now those 
>>>>>>>>> entries
>>>>>>>>> appear within gedit.
>>>>>>>> What did you change?  I just went through all of dconf-editor 
>>>>>>>> listed
>>>>>>>> items and did not recognize anything to change that would turn on
>>>>>>>> settings/preferences in gedit let alone directly turn off word 
>>>>>>>> wrap.
>>>>>>> When you open gedit in Fed20 + Gnome-3.10 a gedit icon appears 
>>>>>>> in the
>>>>>>> top bar. If you click on this and choose 'preferences' you will see
>>>>>>> under 'Text Wrapping' the entries: 'enable text wrapping' and 
>>>>>>> 'do not
>>>>>>> split words over two lines'. Is this what you are looking for.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I assume you are using standard Gnome-3.10 and not "classic mode".
>>>>>>> I know nothing about "classic mode" (don't use it).
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Is this icon not visible in your install?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Fresh install.  Have not applied the updates yet.
>>>>>
>>>>> Please, do it right now.
>>>>>
>>>>>> I see that gedit icon
>>>>>> on the top bar once gedit is running.  It has a down arrow right 
>>>>>> next to
>>>>>> it.  I assume that lets me switch between copies of gedit if more 
>>>>>> than
>>>>>> one is open.
>>>>>
>>>>> Why don't you try instead of assume? The down arrow is not for
>>>>> switching between different copies of the same application, but for a
>>>>> drop down menu. You should click on it to see its behavior by
>>>>> yourself, it is cheap!!
>>>>
>>>> I DID try clicking on the arrow and nothing happened.  Since I only 
>>>> had
>>>> one gedit opened, I tried to figure it out.  Now that you say this is
>>>> what it does, I realized where I MAY be having troubles.  I am in
>>>> terminal, sued, and running gedit to edit the yum.conf.d files! So I
>>>> opened terminal regular and ran gedit & and sure enough it works and I
>>>> can set preferences no problem for ME and turn off word wrap.
>>>>
>>>> But I cannot do it for root's use of gedit to edit config files.  :(
>>>
>>> You are right about this, because I opened /etc/yum.conf with gedit 
>>> using sudo and I'm not able to open the drop down menu. Maybe this 
>>> behavior is intentional, but I'm not sure.
>>
>> So, I should give it a try and just put up with the wrapping. 
>> Afterall vi wraps, but actually does it smarter.
>>
>> I can see why, as the top bar is running as ME and should NOT let ME 
>> set preferences for gedit as root.  But that begs the question on HOW 
>> to change the preferences for root.
> Um, I may have missed the threads, but gedit works fine on F18/MATE.

This behaviour, I think, came in f19.  It only impacts sudo gedit not 
being able to access top bar. And that is a Gnome 3 feature. Doubt if 
Mate has it.




More information about the users mailing list