f20 - gedit

ergodic gmml at embarqmail.com
Fri Dec 20 04:00:03 UTC 2013


> Anyway, it is safer to use something like VIM to edit files as root,
> I
> only tested gedit because I saw your email, but as root I use only
> VIM
> to edit files :)

Why?????


----- Original Message -----
> On 12/19/2013 10:05 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >
> > On 12/19/2013 07:45 PM, "Germán A. Racca" wrote:
> >> On 12/19/2013 09:32 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >>>
> >>> On 12/19/2013 07:16 PM, "Germán A. Racca" wrote:
> >>>> On 12/19/2013 07:22 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >>>>>
> >>>>> On 12/19/2013 08:35 AM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> >>>>>> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 08:05:49AM -0500, Robert Moskowitz
> >>>>>> wrote:
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>>> Confirm
> >>>>>>>> used dconf-editor instead to set the overrides and now those
> >>>>>>>> entries
> >>>>>>>> appear within gedit.
> >>>>>>> What did you change?  I just went through all of dconf-editor
> >>>>>>> listed
> >>>>>>> items and did not recognize anything to change that would
> >>>>>>> turn on
> >>>>>>> settings/preferences in gedit let alone directly turn off
> >>>>>>> word wrap.
> >>>>>> When you open gedit in Fed20 + Gnome-3.10 a gedit icon appears
> >>>>>> in the
> >>>>>> top bar. If you click on this and choose 'preferences' you
> >>>>>> will see
> >>>>>> under 'Text Wrapping' the entries: 'enable text wrapping' and
> >>>>>> 'do not
> >>>>>> split words over two lines'. Is this what you are looking for.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> I assume you are using standard Gnome-3.10 and not "classic
> >>>>>> mode".
> >>>>>> I know nothing about "classic mode" (don't use it).
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Is this icon not visible in your install?
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Fresh install.  Have not applied the updates yet.
> >>>>
> >>>> Please, do it right now.
> >>>>
> >>>>> I see that gedit icon
> >>>>> on the top bar once gedit is running.  It has a down arrow
> >>>>> right
> >>>>> next to
> >>>>> it.  I assume that lets me switch between copies of gedit if
> >>>>> more than
> >>>>> one is open.
> >>>>
> >>>> Why don't you try instead of assume? The down arrow is not for
> >>>> switching between different copies of the same application, but
> >>>> for a
> >>>> drop down menu. You should click on it to see its behavior by
> >>>> yourself, it is cheap!!
> >>>
> >>> I DID try clicking on the arrow and nothing happened.  Since I
> >>> only had
> >>> one gedit opened, I tried to figure it out.  Now that you say
> >>> this is
> >>> what it does, I realized where I MAY be having troubles.  I am in
> >>> terminal, sued, and running gedit to edit the yum.conf.d files!
> >>> So I
> >>> opened terminal regular and ran gedit & and sure enough it works
> >>> and I
> >>> can set preferences no problem for ME and turn off word wrap.
> >>>
> >>> But I cannot do it for root's use of gedit to edit config files.
> >>>  :(
> >>
> >> You are right about this, because I opened /etc/yum.conf with
> >> gedit
> >> using sudo and I'm not able to open the drop down menu. Maybe this
> >> behavior is intentional, but I'm not sure.
> >
> > So, I should give it a try and just put up with the wrapping.
> > Afterall
> > vi wraps, but actually does it smarter.
> >
> > I can see why, as the top bar is running as ME and should NOT let
> > ME set
> > preferences for gedit as root.  But that begs the question on HOW
> > to
> > change the preferences for root.
> 
> Anyway, it is safer to use something like VIM to edit files as root,
> I
> only tested gedit because I saw your email, but as root I use only
> VIM
> to edit files :)
> 
> --
> Germán A. Racca
> Fedora Package Maintainer
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Skytux
> --
> users mailing list
> users at lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Fedora Code of Conduct: http://fedoraproject.org/code-of-conduct
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
> Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
> 


More information about the users mailing list