f20 - gedit

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 10:43:16 UTC 2013

On 20 December 2013 03:05, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> On 12/19/2013 07:45 PM, "Germán A. Racca" wrote:

>>> I DID try clicking on the arrow and nothing happened.  Since I only had
>>> one gedit opened, I tried to figure it out.  Now that you say this is
>>> what it does, I realized where I MAY be having troubles.  I am in
>>> terminal, sued, and running gedit to edit the yum.conf.d files! So I
>>> opened terminal regular and ran gedit & and sure enough it works and I
>>> can set preferences no problem for ME and turn off word wrap.
>>>
>>> But I cannot do it for root's use of gedit to edit config files.  :(
>>

>> You are right about this, because I opened /etc/yum.conf with gedit using
>> sudo and I'm not able to open the drop down menu. Maybe this behavior is
>> intentional, but I'm not sure.
>

> So, I should give it a try and just put up with the wrapping. Afterall vi
> wraps, but actually does it smarter.
>
> I can see why, as the top bar is running as ME and should NOT let ME set
> preferences for gedit as root.  But that begs the question on HOW to change
> the preferences for root.

I tested and yes the AppMenu doesn't show for apps run as root.

As I posted before, you can force apps run under gnome-shell to show
all their menus in their own windows and not rely on AppMenu by
running this command as user in terminal:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides
"{'Gtk/ShellShowsAppMenu': <0>}"

(or by using dconf-editor).

> --

Ahmad Samir