f20 - gedit

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Dec 20 15:14:18 UTC 2013

> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Robert Moskowitz
> <rgm at htt-consult.com <mailto:rgm at htt-consult.com>> wrote:
>
>     You mean like lowering inittab to 3, logging in as root, then
>     running startx so you can get the full root gui experience?
>

> No, I mean logging into the desktop as root rather than as a normal
> user. This is generally frowned on.

Isn't this pretty much the same?  Once you lower inittab to 3, there is
no problem logging in as root.  startx then gives you your root gui.

What am I missing.

BTW, I use to do this until I finally buckled down and got decent at
doing what I needed in a su terminal session.  And I DO use vi a lot.  I
have been using it since '93 and never graduated to emacs; still have my
original O'Reilly vi book.