trying to mount usb/hard drive

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Dec 20 18:00:33 UTC 2013

On 12/20/2013 08:56 AM, Mark Haney issued this missive:

> On 12/20/2013 11:39 AM, bruce wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The drive from the 1st system is a 640G drive
>>
>> The partition data from the system monitor app gives the
>> following:
>>
>> /dev/mapper/vg_dell45_lv_root        /
>> /dev/mapper/vg_dell45_lv_apps        /apps
>> /dev/mapper/vg_dell45_lv_backup        /backup /dev/sda1
>> /boot /dev/mapper/vg_dell45_lv_home        /home
>>

> Make sure you have the lvm utils installed and mount by lv name.
> Here's some decent instructions I googled:
>
> http://linuxers.org/howto/how-mount-linux-lvm-volume-partitions-linux
>
> May or may not be precisely correct being a couple of years old, but I
> believe the process is similar regardless.

True. In a nutshell:

	# vgchange -ay		(Makes the VG known to the kernel)
	# ls /dev/mapper	(To find the VG-LV name of the LVM)
	# mount /dev/mapper/<lvname> /mountpoint
				(Mount the LVM at /mountpoint)

Example:

	# vgchange -ay
	# ls /dev/mapper
	/dev/mapper:
	control  VolGroup00-LogVol00  VolGroup00-LogVol01
	# mount /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01 /mountpoint

WARNING:
If system2 uses LVMs that were created using Anaconda's defaults (the
above is an example of such a beast) AND the USB drive was done in a
similar manner, you may have duplicate VG and LV names and that won't
work. You will need to (at least) change the VG name on the USB drive
(see "man vgrename" for help there).

For this reason, I generally name the VGs after the hostname of the
machine they were created on. For example, my laptop, "golem4", has:

	[root at golem4 ~]# ls /dev/mapper
	control  vg_golem4-lv_home  vg_golem4-lv_root  vg_golem4-lv_swap

so I can move its drive to another machine if necessary and not have a
VG name conflict.
-  "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick"  -
-     themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."       -
-                                  -- Winston Churchill              -