hacked - looking for doc/suggestions on hardening/securing systems from the start

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Dec 20 21:34:14 UTC 2013

On 12/20/2013 01:27 PM, Dennis Kaptain issued this missive:
> 2013/12/20 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com
> <mailto:pocallaghan at gmail.com>>
>

>     On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
>     <mailto:ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>> wrote:
>
>         It gets worse if you use multiple computers.  It's a nightmare
>         trying to
>         do something that's accessible on all, and secure.  Whether that be
>         letting applications remember passwords, and I'm severely pissed
>         with
>         browsers that can't remember passwords because some *utterly*
>         *unimportant* site thinks they should block your browser from
>         doing so
>         (though I don't object to a bank site doing that), or having a
>         special
>         password safe application.  I can remember but a few passwords
>         off the
>         top of my head.
>

>     Online password managers such as Lastpass or Dasher are a way round
>     this, and also can generate complex random passwords for you that
>     you don't have to remember. Of course you then have to trust them to
>     work properly, but as their entire business depends on them getting
>     it right and the data they store is encrypted and decrypted locally
>     using a single key known only to you, it seems to be a reasonable
>     compromise. Unfortunately they tend to be closed-source.
>
>     poc
>
>     --
>

> I use keepassx. It's a good application for this.
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/keepassx

Seconded. I use keepassx as well. My database is on a VFAT partition on
a 1G USB Flash drive I carry with me with a second copy on my Droid
phone...just in case I need it.
- grasshopotomus: A creature that can leap to tremendous heights...  -
-                                                ...once.            -