Gnome login hangs F20 after fedup upgrade

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Sat Dec 21 23:20:07 UTC 2013

On 21.12.2013 22:50, David Highley wrote:
> "Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:"
>>
>> On 21.12.2013 20:40, David Highley wrote:
>>> We upgraded a test system to Fedora 20 using the fedup process. There
>>> were 60 packages that were left from Fedora 19 after the upgrade that
>>> were subsequently fixed by doing a yum distro-sync. Since the upgrade we
>>> are not able to login into a Gnome session. We select the user in the
>>> greater and it prompts for the pass word. After that it goes to the
>>> grayed background and hangs leaving the user session in a hung state
>>> where you have cursor control but the session setup does not get to the
>>> point where you can select anything.
>>>
>>> We have checked the logs and see nothing in the logs that indicate an
>>> issue. The other change noticed is the monitor never goes to sleep when
>>> the greater screen is active.
>>>

>> Does systemctl restart gdm.service from text shell help you restore
>> system responsiveness? It might be some problem with gnome-shell or
>> Xorg, I'm facing similar behavior from time to time on fresh installation.
>
> Same recovery as doing init 3 init 5 you get back to the Gnome greater
> screen with the session ended. We have looked at the Xorg log files and
> see nothing wrong in them. Our case is not intermittent. We have tried
> both VGA and HDMI connections and get the same results. We have also
> reviewed dmesg and the /var/log/message log files. Nothing seems to get
> logged. We have checked for selinux avc issues and tried login in
> selinux Permissive mode. Second check just now indicates that a
> systemctl restart gdm.service gets us back to the Gnome greater screen
> but then we were not able to select a user for login.

Don't bother searching in logs. It's very likely that you won't find
anything there because failing piece of code is part of gnome-shell and
is written in Java Script. I don't see any references to logging
facilities in that code. If you have enough time and spare resources you
can take a look at https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell/ . This
issue might be hard to resolve.

Mateusz Marzantowicz