F20: /etc/default/grub missing.

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Dec 21 23:22:26 UTC 2013

On Dec 21, 2013, at 2:48 PM, Erik P. Olsen <epodata at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the insight into this matter. It is actually a laptop that I use as mobile device. Why is it that UEFI "enabled" is better in this situation? Power?

Yes. ACPI and AHCI are sometimes not native. Most of the CSM-BIOS mode booted systems I've seen have more limited battery life, and fast SATA drives like SSDs are in IDE mode so they're also quite a bit slower. But this varies on the CSM implementation. It's not a linux thing, so you just have to test it.

Also, if the laptop has dual graphics, like Intel integrated graphics and also discrete graphics, then UEFI mode boots tend to activate both, causing neither to work. So you have to figure out how to disable one of them with a modeset kernel parameter option.

Chris Murphy