No loop device in new kernel?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 01:19:08 UTC 2013

Is there no loop device in the new 3.12.5 kernel by
default? I was just trying to mount a filesystem via
realcrypt and kept getting errors about unable to
setup the loop device.

After some poking around with google searches I found
some other folks with the same error claiming that
the kernel no longer loads the loop module by default.

I added a /etc/modules-load.d/loop.conf file and
rebooted and was able to use realcrypt again, but
having a non-functional loop by default seems like
a bug to me :-).