F20: yum update does not automatically update grub2

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 10:52:13 UTC 2013

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 16:04:47 -0600, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> OK, thanks! I am not sure I understood this correctly, but here is what
> I did:
>
> sudo yum update -y (this brings back the new kernel and installs it).
>
> rpm -q --scripts kernel|tail -2
> posttrans scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
> /bin/kernel-install add
> 3.12.5-302.fc20.x86_64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.5-302.fc20.x86_64 || exit $?
>
> So, this appears to match whatever you have written above. Now what
> should I do?

Well, it depends. What would you like to do?

You could become superuser root, then run exactly the kernel-install
command found above, and check the exit return code and watch out for
any warning/error it might print. Next step would be to debug the
/bin/kernel-install script in an attempt at finding out where it fails.
Perhaps it fails within the /sbin/new-kernel-pkg script, perhaps in
grubby (that'll be C code then, however), perhaps due to SELinux, or
perhaps because it doesn't recognise a valid template in your grub.cfg.

You could also spend some time in bugzilla and search for whether
somebody else is affected.