F20: yum update does not automatically update grub2

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon Dec 23 19:01:46 UTC 2013

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 18:53:40 +0100 Michael Schwendt
<mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 08:20:53 -0600, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>
> > > You could become superuser root, then run exactly the kernel-install
> > > command found above, and check the exit return code and watch out for
> > > any warning/error it might print.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > $ sudo rpm -q --scripts kernel|tail -2
> > posttrans scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
> > /bin/kernel-install add
> > 3.12.5-302.fc20.x86_64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.5-302.fc20.x86_64 || exit $?
> >
> > This is all I get.
>
> You've only queried the kernel package for its scriptlets section.
> You haven't tried to execute the command you can see in there.

sudo /bin/kernel-install add
3.12.5-302.fc20.x86_64 /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.5-302.fc20.x86_64 || exit $?
grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template

I looked around, but almost all the discussion on the web seems to be
circa 2011 when grub moved to grub2 so I am not sure that these seem
relevant. (In any case, most of them say run grub2-mkconfig but I was
trying to get a more long-term solution.)

> > Not sure what it means/how to check the exit return code.
>
> By evaluating/examining the $? variable after running a program.
>
> > How does one debug the /bin/kernel-install script?
>
> It's better to stop here right away, since I had assumed you would
> either be capable of performing a few trouble-shooting tasks or be
> interested enough to want to learn about it.

I guess I am trying to learn by taking the first step of finding the
process of getting to it? Hence the questions. Perhaps the background
needed is too much to figure out on one's own.

Thanks for your time and patience, though!
Best wishes,
Ranjan