Connection fails F19->F20 Rsync

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Mon Dec 23 19:41:13 UTC 2013

"David Highley wrote:"

> > After doing a fedup upgrade from Fedora 19 to Fedora 20 the Fedora 19
> > systems are not able to rsync to the Fedora 20 system.
> >
> > If you do:
> > rsync host::
> >
> > You get:
> > rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
> > rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(764)
> > [Receiver=3.0.9]
> >
> > If you do it to its self it works fine. We have stopped iptables on both
> > sides, looked for selinux avc errors. We have wiresharked and the hosts
> > are exchanging packets on port 873. In looking at the RPM change log for
> > rsync we see that the compression has been changed. Could that somehow
> > cause this failure?
>
> We did forget the most important part. The reverse direction rsync
> F19->F20 does work.

Not sure still why we had not run into this issue before but we finally
believe we tracked the issue to a slight difference between the primary
and secondary DNS named.conf file. The command netstat -anp grep 873
found that most of the systems were getting tcp6 for rsync and only a
few were getting tcp. We are not running tcp6 as our internet provider
is not supportting it in our area and we do not see the need anyway for
such a small network. We seem to have found and fixed this issue.