Possibly OT --- Adobe flash player; how to get it to run?

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Dec 24 08:56:22 UTC 2013

People keep sending me links to videos and then when I click on them
Firefox says
that the video won't play since I don't have flash installed. But then
when I click
on the installer I (eventually) get messages to the effect that the
required package
is already installed.

If I click on Tools -> Addons -> Plugins I get messages to the effect
that I don't
"have any plugins of this type installed".  (***WHAT*** <expletive
deleted> type?
I never mentioned any "type"!!!

I've googled around quite a bit and any suggestion that I've found was
of no use
whatever.  (I.e. I keep getting the same message that I don't have flash
installed.)

WTF do I have to do?  Is the problem the fact that I am still running
Fedora 17?
(I have not upgraded since everything except the flash business seems to
be running
smoothly, and I don't want to get into an incomprehensible upgrade
hassle unless
I absolutely have to.)

Grateful for any suggestions and/or advice.

     cheers,

     Rolf Turner