can you (theoretically) run only NFSv4 (without earlier versions)?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 08:59:02 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> Quoting Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com>:
>> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> a long, long time ago, i reported an apparent glitch with NFS on
>>> fedora:
>>>
>>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-January/097465.html
>>>
>>> in that, at the time, it *appeared* that you couldn't set up
>>> NFS so that *only* version 4 was running. before i start messing
>>> with this again, anyone know whether that's changed? that is,
>>> is it possible to set up a network in which only NFSv4 is running,
>>> and no earlier versions are supported? thanks.
>>
>> It's been possible to run nfsv4-only nfs for a long time, with only
>> port 2049 being let through the firewall. It only appears that you
>> can't because because rpc.mountd has to run on the server but it's
>> only involved in the exporting and not the mounting.
>
> a followup question, then -- i'm reading the RHEL docs (but i imagine
> the contents are applicable here as long as we're talking about NFSv4);
> the section on NFS reads:
>
> "The mounting and locking protocols have been incorporated into the NFSv4
> protocol. The server also listens on the well-known TCP port 2049. As such,
> NFSv4 does not need to interact with rpcbind [3], lockd, and rpc.statd
> daemons."
>
> does that mean that if i configure my system(s) to run NFSv4 only,
> those daemons no longer need to be run? better yet, if i configure
> for NFSv4 *only*, will those daemons even be started? i guess i could
> peruse /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs to find out.

1) NFSv3

a) set up versions of nfsd, rpc.mountd in "/etc/sysconfig/nfs"

b) set up fixed ports for rpc.lockd, rpc.mountd, rpc.statd, rpc.quotad
in "/etc/sysconfig/nfs"

c) set up firewall rules to allow rpcbind, nfsd, rpc.lockd,
rpc.mountd, rpc.statd, rpc.quotad in "/etc/sysconfig/iptables"

1) NFSv4

a) set up versions of nfsd, rpc.mountd in "/etc/sysconfig/nfs"

b) set up firewall rule to allow nfsd in "/etc/sysconfig/iptables"