Possibly OT --- Adobe flash player; how to get it to run?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Dec 24 10:48:46 UTC 2013

On 12/24/2013 04:58 PM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 21:56:22 +1300
> Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>
>> People keep sending me links to videos and then when I click on
>> them Firefox says that the video won't play since I don't have
>> flash installed. But then when I click on the installer I
>> (eventually) get messages to the effect that the required package
>> is already installed.
>>

> Adobe have stopped updating flash for Linux.
Yes and no. They have stopped enhancing it, but they are still bug
fixing, especially for security issues. The latest update RPM on my
Fedora 19 boxes is less than a month old.

That said, flash is on its way out. If you consider they have withdrawn
flash from the largest single media platform on the planet - Android -
its obviously going through a near death experience. Its just a pity so
many web site are super slow at reworking their platform to feed us
video in other ways.

Steve