Trying to install to new drive, but drive caddy torked

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Dec 24 16:54:08 UTC 2013

On 12/24/2013 11:33 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:

 > On Dec 24, 2013, at 8:43 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>
 > wrote:
 >
 >> Can't get the screws loose on the drive caddy (lenovo e120x)!
 >> Someone really torked them tight or glued them in.  :(
 >>
 >> $9.9 to buy one used from someone that either figured out how to
 >> loosen the screws or has the right tools.
 >>
 >> Venting here.
 >
 > If the head has been stripped, the driver is wrong sized for the
 > screw. An exactly right sized driver with moderate pressure will
 > unstick a tight screw so long as it isn't actually glued. And in that
 > case with even more pressure it should still crack the glue with less
 > than Herculean effort.
 >
 > If the screw head is stripped and sticks out a bit you can use a
 > small file to create a couple notches top and bottom of the screw
 > then use needle nose pliers to unscrew it. Or you'll have to drill it
 > out.

Thanks but...

Right size screwdriver: Phillips #0; I have been doing this for close to
60 years.  Stripping phillips head screws that is :)
Heads not stripped. yet.  Being careful.
Lots of pressure tried.  Including holding screwdriver with wrench and
trying to turn.  But can't maintain enough downward pressure to get it
to budge.
Heads not raised enough to grab with any pliers I own, and I have a lot
of them.  Maybe try and file the heads square and see if that makes
grabbing them easier.

Stupid manufacturers.