Trying to install to new drive, but drive caddy torked

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Dec 24 17:43:32 UTC 2013

On 12/24/2013 08:59 AM, murph issued this missive:
> Something I've done successfully in the past for small, nearly stripped screws:
>
> Put a drop of crazy glue in the screw.  Put the screwdriver in as
> straight as you can and balance against something.  Let dry.  Now try
> to get the screw out.
>
> Sounds crazy, but it has worked.   Of course, this is last resort
> before drilling it out.

Often 5-minute epoxy works better (thicker, goey-ier, can take a bit
more torque and off-axis force than Crazy Glue). If the carrier isn't
plastic, try a 30-watt soldering iron applied (no tinning) to the center
of the screw head. Heat will often loosen that stuff.

That being said, I've drilled and ez-outed more screws (from #2s and up)
and bolts (I have old Jaguar cars) than I care to think about.