F20: yum update does not automatically update grub2

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Dec 24 18:52:11 UTC 2013

On Dec 24, 2013, at 9:28 AM, Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:

>> grub2-install --debug /dev/sda

Looks good.

>> bash -x grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

FYI:
Line 79, I do not see resume= having been added to /etc/default/grub, therefore it won't be in the grub.cfg.

Line 127/128, it found kernel 3.12.5-302 and its initramfs.
Line 129 only kernel 3.11.10-301 is found, this probably isn't a bootable kernel option.
Line 130/131 is the rescue kernel and initramfs, it should work and chances are it's 3.11.10-301.

>> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg  #from the above command

This looks better than the original one, the root=UUID=<uuid> is present instead of referring to root with /dev/sd3. As expected, contains working 3.12 and rescue kernel boot options. The 3.11.10 option probably ends in a kernel panic, because line 91 lacks an initrd command for this kernel entry.

I suggest you do not yum erase the 3.11.10 kernel, because that will remove all of its modules, which the rescue kernel depends on. To remove this from the grub menu, just rm -f the vmlinuz-3.11.10 kernel from the /boot directory. If you want you can also remove its config file. Then you can rerun: grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and it will no longer have the 3.11.10 option, just the working 3.12.5 and rescue options.

When the next kernel update comes out, it ought to update this grub.cfg now. If not report back and we'll try to figure out what's going on.

Chris Murphy