how to set up my "fetchmail" on f20 without sendmail?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Dec 24 18:55:14 UTC 2013

   finally getting around to building my new f20 machine and, as i
read it, f20 now ships without sendmail.

   so far, to match what i've used for years, i've installed on my
f20 box:

   * alpine
   * fetchmail

and i've copied over from my old (ubuntu) system the relevant files:

   * .addressbook{,.lu}
   * .pinerc
   * .fetchmailrc

i can check that there is mail waiting at my ISP with:

   $ fetchmail -c

and sure enough, there's a pile of mail there. however, not
surprisingly, if i try to fetch it, i get:

fetchmail: Connection errors for this poll:
name 0: connection to localhost:smtp [::1/25] failed: Connection refused.
name 1: connection to localhost:smtp [127.0.0.1/25] failed: Connection
refused.
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed

since (obviously), without sendmail, nothing is listening on port
25. so what's the solution these days? a pointer to a web page
somewhere would work just fine. thanks.

rday