Gnome login hangs F20 after fedup upgrade

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Tue Dec 24 20:56:47 UTC 2013

On Dec 24, 2013 1:34 PM, "David Highley" <dhighley at highley-recommended.com>
wrote:

( I wrote )
> > And with the new user account? This is a crucial test, because tweaking
> > your config files and troubleshooting the display stack are very
different.

(Reply)
> Bingo, seems to be old scruff somewhere in the accounts that is
> preventing the logins from working. Did two tests. One with a local new
> account and another with the account on the remote user server using
> autofs and NFS to server the home directories. Both tests worked.
>
> Now do we take a meat axe and remove all the dot directories or in great
> pain discover what is blocking the logins from working. Note we have
> already removed every directory and file that had gnome in the name.

Only you can answer this question. If you only have a hammer in your
toolbox, use the hammer. If you have some patience and a scalpel, you can
be more selective.

BTW, there's nothing that says that any file created by GNOME must have
"gnome" in the file name, and nothing that restricts GNOME from using files
that don't have "gnome" in the file name.  It's a good start, but the
process continues.

--Pete