System mail (Fedora 20)

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Wed Dec 25 05:30:22 UTC 2013

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question.
>
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 10:02:30AM -0500, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>>
>> == No Default Sendmail, Syslog ==
>>
>> In the interests of paring down services that are generally not used
>> on desktop systems, Fedora 20 removes and replaces some services that
>> many users find unnecessary from the Live Desktop DVD. They will
>> remain available as installable packages for users who might need
>> them.
>>
>> The systemd journal now takes the place as the default logging
>> solution for minimal and other selected installation methods, such as
>> the Live Desktop DVD, having been tested and able to manage persistent
>> logging in place of syslog.
>>
>> Also, Sendmail will no longer be installed by default, as most Fedora
>> installs have no need of a Mail Transfer Agent (MTA).
>
> Does this mean there won't be any system mail (e.g. mail from root, cron
> jobs, etc)?  I have never really used sendmail, but I always thought
> system mail was handled by the default MTA; hence my question.

A system cannot correctly function without a way for such processes to
send email.

Has all the software that (potentially) sends email been modified to
accommodate a crippled system?

What happens when you have an MTA installed?  Will you still not receive
such email?

What happens when you upgrade?  So far, exim still seems to work after
upgrading.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)