System mail (Fedora 20)

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 13:17:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 05:56:58AM +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 06:30:22 +0100
> lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>
> > A system cannot correctly function without a way for such processes
> > to send email.
>
> Yes, they can. Cron can work whether you know about it or not
> eg. "journalctl | grep cron | less
> # man journalctl if worried
>
> you can always flag on "warning, fail, etc.."
>
> If you have just installed Fedora from F20+
> yum install mta (of choice, if required)

I know I can always look in the logs, but I would probably miss
something if I have to do this manually for every daemon that is
running.  It is much simpler to monitor this through system mail.

Hence, I would like to know what happens if there is no MTA installed;
do I still get system mail notifying me of cron jobs, denied hosts, etc?

Thanks,

--
Suvayu