how to set up my "fetchmail" on f20 without sendmail?

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Wed Dec 25 14:32:14 UTC 2013

On 25.12.2013, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > I run fetchmail with option   mda "/usr/bin/procmail -t -f -"
> > > to deliver (and filter) via procmail.
> >
> >    hmmm ... i may try that. i assume that, with this approach, i
> > won't need to install sendmail, correct?

> Correct.

Using MUAs like Alpine, Mutt and similar, it may probably be a bad idea to not
install any local MTA, unless your MUA can deliver mail directly to
your ISP. And even if it can - it's quite comfortable to read mail
while the mail I just sent gets processed in the background.

I've been using ELM for quite a while together with sendmail, and
changed to mutt and postfix after they came up. The years went by, and
I'm still using my fetchmail-postfix-procmail-mutt combination..

In short: having a local MTA is more of a personal preference.