gedit as root now locks desktop hard

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 17:11:21 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 10:51:07AM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> On 12/26/2013 10:16 AM, bruce wrote:
> >what happens if you use gedit, but you open the file as a non root user?
>
> Works fine as me.  Only locks as root.

Maybe it is a problem with the .Xauthority file?  You could test with an
editor that has both terminal only, gui modes.  Emacs is the only one I
know of.  Try starting it as emacs, if it faces the same problem it
should fallback to no-window mode.

In any case, I think it is considered good practice to not use gui
applications as root.  I would stick to vim/emacs -nw/nano etc.

--
Suvayu