System mail (Fedora 20)

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Thu Dec 26 17:46:54 UTC 2013

On 12/25/2013 06:56 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 06:30:22 +0100
> lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>
>> A system cannot correctly function without a way for such processes
>> to send email.
>
> Yes, they can. Cron can work whether you know about it or not
> eg. "journalctl | grep cron | less

# time journalctl | grep cron
...lots of lines since July 28 (!)...

real	26m0.921s
user	10m25.731s
sys	3m7.579s
#

Not that useful. Any idea on how to improve that?

On my desktop it took 6 seconds, starting July 6, but it had only a few
lines about the yum-cron problems the last two weeks. So on that
computer I seem to miss a lot of lines in the systemd-log, that is
present in the /var/log/cron file.

Strange things are happening, apparently...

>> Has all the software that (potentially) sends email been modified to
>> accommodate a crippled system?
>
> How is it crippled, it's still logged?

One example. I get mail from cron, using yum-cron, with contents like
the following. How is that handled without a MTA? Never got a response
from Lennart Poettering on the devel list...

/etc/cron.hourly/yum.cron:

Loaded plugins: changelog, dellsysid, fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
  * fedora: vesta.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
  * rpmfusion-free: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
  * rpmfusion-free-updates: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
  * rpmfusion-nonfree: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
  * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
  * updates: vesta.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
No packages marked for update
Loaded plugins: changelog, dellsysid, fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit
  * fedora: ftp.lysator.liu.se
  * rpmfusion-free: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
  * rpmfusion-free-updates: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
  * rpmfusion-nonfree: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
  * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
  * updates: ftp.lysator.liu.se
No packages marked for update

Lars
--