Auto OS Install Process

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Thu Dec 26 19:13:54 UTC 2013

> [...]
> >> args etc for damn near 30 years...
> >>
> >> My motto - if I create the post, I'll post/add to it as i see fit.
> >> Everyon else is welcome to reply, or not!!
> >>

> >> Now that that's out of the way...
> >>

> >> My need is in the case a system gets hacked/corrupted. If the system
> >> is remote, I want a method of being able to get into the hacked
> >> system, and to have it then restore the running/corrupted partition
> >> from the "clean" partition.
> >>
> >> This means I need to be able to install dual OS, as well as have a
> >> method of being able to switch the boot process as required.
> >>
> >> No, this isn't foolproof to eleminate hacking, but it does allow me to
> >> then be able to more easlity/quickly recover in the event the process
> >> detects the master partition as being hacked.
> >>
> >> So, in my mind, I'll have dual OS/partitions
> >> paritionA
> >>   -minimal OS
> >>   -used to do a netinstall/reinstall of a clean OS into partitionB
> >>   -so when the system boots up into this partition, it will auto
> >>    perform the netinstall process into the partitionB for the
> >>    reinstall
> >>
> >> partitionB
> >>   -the master partition/OS
> >>   -contains the working/real OS/env of the system
> >>   -also able to invoke a netinstall process to reinstall partitionA as
> >>    required
> >>   -has the ability to toggle between the partitions
> >>   -has the ability to set itself as the default OS/partition
> >>
> >> So in my mind, this really should be a matter of doing a dual
> >> install/boot process, and then determining how one can
> >> programatically/automatically set whatever function/switch has to be
> >> set to switch between the partitions/OS on reboot of the system.
> >>
> >> Keep in mind, once the system is created/provisioned, all of this is
> >> being handled remotely, via ssh.
> >>
> >> thanks
> >>

> > If we assume that you have functioning ssh access to the machine, you
can
> > change the default boot option for grub in /etc/default/grub (and run
> > grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/path/to/grub.cfg)
> >
> > With ssh access and a UEFI system, you can use `efibootmgr` to set the
> > firmware boot order or next boot.
> >
> > If you don't have functioning ssh access, you'll need hardware with
remote
> > access firmware ie. IPMI. Alternatively, you can get a KVM with remote
> > access features - usually vnc, look for KVM over IP - or some remote
hands
> > to operate a keyboard for you.
> >
> > If the goal is to reinstall from the alternative environment, you want
the
> > installer , not a minimal install.  You should read about medialess
installs
> > or pxe installation in the Fedora Installation Guide. These can also be
used
> > in rescue mode. Either way, kickstart sounds like a good idea for you.
> >
> > BTW, mailing list guidelines have existed as long as mailing lists.
 You are

On Dec 26, 2013 11:56 AM, "bruce" <badouglas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pete.
>
> Thanks for the reply. If I understand your following statement::
> > If we assume that you have functioning ssh access to the machine, you
can
> > change the default boot option for grub in /etc/default/grub (and run
> > grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/path/to/grub.cfg)
> >

> this implies that for each installed OS, there will be a separate
> "/boot" in the OS tree, but if I'm in partitionA, how do I set the dir
> for the boot path for the partitionB, which wouldn't be mounted at
> that time... Or would it be?
>
> I've been looking for a sample/turotial that lays this out that I can
> examine, and haven't found one yet.
>
> Thanks Much!!!

Let us move away from the term "partition", please. A typical installation
has multiple partitions, and even if yours do not, you are describing an
*installation *, not a storage volume.

If you have a second installation, grub2-mkconfig will find it and create
the menu entries for you.

As I noted, a second minimal installation does not do what you describe you
want to accomplish, reinstallation. The installer handles installation, so
you want to boot that. If you want to be able to reinstall *or* access the
main installation's data from a clean environment, you can use the
installer's rescue mode.

--Pete