gnome-terminal in F20 defaults to / for the initial directory

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Dec 27 00:17:04 UTC 2013

That's pretty much it. After upgrading to F20, launching gnome terminal
starts a shell with its current directory of / instead of $HOME. Very
annoying.

gnome-terminal appears to inherit the parent process's home directory. If I
launch gnome-terminal from another terminal window, the new shell's initial
directory is the parent's. Curiously, the shell's parent process is gnome-
terminal-server, whose current directory is $HOME.
going on.

The likely explanation is that I'm launching new gnome-terminal session from
a desktop icon (since Gnome 3's brain damaged "Activities" screen always
moronically activates one of the existing terminal windows, instead of
creating new terminal session), and I see that the nautilus process's home
directory is /, I guess that's what's going on, but I still just want to
have my new shells come up in $HOME by default.