gnome-terminal in F20 defaults to / for the initial directory

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Dec 27 03:02:29 UTC 2013

Michael Schwendt writes:

> On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 19:17:04 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
> > That's pretty much it. After upgrading to F20, launching gnome terminal
> > starts a shell with its current directory of / instead of $HOME. Very
> > annoying.
> >
> > gnome-terminal appears to inherit the parent process's home directory. If I
> > launch gnome-terminal from another terminal window, the new shell's initial
> > directory is the parent's. Curiously, the shell's parent process is gnome-
> > terminal-server, whose current directory is $HOME.
> > going on.
> >
> > The likely explanation is that I'm launching new gnome-terminal session
> from
> > a desktop icon (since Gnome 3's brain damaged "Activities" screen always
> > moronically activates one of the existing terminal windows, instead of
> > creating new terminal session), and I see that the nautilus process's home
> > directory is /, I guess that's what's going on, but I still just want to
> > have my new shells come up in $HOME by default.
>
> Some people start new gnome-terminal windows either via "right-click ->
> New Window" or via "Ctrl + left-click". Assuming you refer to the Favourites
> bar at the left.

Well, I prefer to double-click on an icon on my desktop. Not the funny-
looking "Favorites" bar that I have to play finger gymnastics to open. I
prefer to have simple, ordinary icons that are always available on my
desktop to double-click on. They always worked just fine. Or, at least,
until F20.

So, I just tried it, just for kicks and giggles. So, the "recommended" way:

* Hit the top right corner with the pointer. Doesn't work. Hit it again. The
favourites bar slides in from the right. Yay.

* Move the pointer again. Rearrange your fingers to execute a ctrl-left
click.

* A new minituarized window appears somewhere else on the screen.

* Rearrange the fingers again, to position the pointer to the new miniatured
window.

* Click it to move the input focus there.

Versus:

* Move the pointer to an icon on the desktop. Double click on it.

WTF is wrong with Gnome? Don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question.