gnome-terminal in F20 defaults to / for the initial directory

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 16:24:08 UTC 2013

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 10:01:25 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> > I used gnome-tweak-tool to enable desktop icons, then copied a
> > gnome-terminal.desktop file from another account, had to mark it as
> > trusted, and double-clicking it starts a new terminal with default path
> > being $HOME.
>
> Well, my gnome-terminal.desktop file was last modified in 2011.

$ stat gnome-terminal.desktop |grep ^M
Modify: 2011-07-20 21:47:18.000000000 +0200

Originally it had been dragged onto the desktop in 2011 and has not been
modified since then.

> It always started gnome-terminal in the home directory,

Here it does.

> until F20. Now, it launched gnome-terminal from /.

What makes you so sure that _this_ behaviour is intentional and not only
a bug (or side-effect) specific to your setup? Even Nautilus not starting
in $HOME sounds unusual.