gnome-terminal in F20 defaults to / for the initial directory

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Dec 27 17:02:16 UTC 2013

Michael Schwendt writes:

> On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 10:01:25 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
> > > I used gnome-tweak-tool to enable desktop icons, then copied a
> > > gnome-terminal.desktop file from another account, had to mark it as
> > > trusted, and double-clicking it starts a new terminal with default path
> > > being $HOME.
> >
> > Well, my gnome-terminal.desktop file was last modified in 2011.
>
> $ stat gnome-terminal.desktop |grep ^M
> Modify: 2011-07-20 21:47:18.000000000 +0200
>
> Originally it had been dragged onto the desktop in 2011 and has not been
> modified since then.
>
> > It always started gnome-terminal in the home directory,
>
> Here it does.
>
> > until F20. Now, it launched gnome-terminal from /.
>
> What makes you so sure that _this_ behaviour is intentional and not only
> a bug (or side-effect) specific to your setup? Even Nautilus not starting
> in $HOME sounds unusual.

Because it's par for the course. Evidence is replete with examples of
hostility from Gnome UI to anything other than the Official Way – to the
point that one needs to use something laughably called a "Tweak Tool", an
add-on, to control various mundane things like the date display format, or
input focus behavior. Something that, until Gnome 3, was offered as an
integrated configuration setting of the primary desktop configuration tool.

I could go on, of course. Suffice it to say that if, in order to customize
one's desktop, one more often will use the tweak tool add-on, instead of the
readily available "settings" applications, then someone's priorities are
definitely wrong.