f20 - acrobat reader where are thou?

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Fri Dec 27 18:56:35 UTC 2013

> On 12/27/2013 01:12 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>> On 12/27/2013 12:54 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:

>>> I don't know where you found that,
>>
>> adobe.com download flash-plugin via yum path.
>>
>>>   but adobe doesn't seem
>>> interested in supporting yum any longer. The best you can do
>>> these days is go to the adobe.com site and follow the download
>>> links for acrobat and you can get a rpm from the adobe site.
>>
>> They do seem to support it for flash-plugin.  Maybe becuase they have
>> to do security updates so frequently.
>>
>> Meanwhile for acrobat I got:  AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i486linux_enu.bin
>>
>> but step 3 of 3 is coming up blank.  What do I do with this .bin file.
>
> I don't believe this!  I turned AdBlock off for this page, and it is
> nothing but an AD!!!!  No instructions on what to do with a .bin
> file.  I ASSuME that I move it to /bin or /sbin or some such?  Where
> is it safe to put?

I think the steps are:

1) Download adobe YUM repo package
     (which you did: adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm)

     Install YUM repo package:
       # yum localinstall ./adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm

     This creates the YUM repo file for Adobe in:
     # ls -l /etc/yum.repos.d/adobe-linux-i386.repo
        (Make sure repo is "enabled=1", use vi)

     If the repo file is not there, then it is not installed.

2) List the adobe files available for installation:
        # yum list | grep adobe
        AdobeReader_XXX.YYY (select your language. (English, XXX=enu,
YYY=i486))
        [...]

3) Yum install AdobeReader_XXX.YYY

4) Good luck finding the Adobe Reader menu icon, but command-line
executable is:
      /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread

Hope this helps!