gnome-terminal in F20 defaults to / for the initial directory

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Dec 27 19:23:14 UTC 2013

Rahul Sundaram writes:

> Hi
>
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>    Because it's par for the course
>
> Not in this case.  You have specific behavior which doesn't match anyone
> else.  You should create a new user and check.  If you can still reproduce
> it, file a bug report.

Creating a new user made no difference, of course. Same behavior –
launching via gnome3's activities or search starts the shell in the new
account's home directory. Copying gnome-terminal.desktop into ~/Desktop, and
launching it from the icon, launches the shell in /.

But I feel a little silly for overlooking the obvious fix: changing the
icon to execute:

sh -c "cd $HOME; gnome-terminal &"

Now, on to finding an explanation for systemd spinning its wheels, doing
absolutely nothing, for two minutes, on every boot…