dual boot test

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Dec 27 20:30:04 UTC 2013

On Dec 27, 2013, at 12:34 PM, bruce <badouglas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi - I know I should probably post to centos, but I'm testing this
> with centos, and then with fedora.

CentOS 6 uses grub legacy. Fedora uses grub2. They are completely different, FYI.

> set the boot to be on sda1 - as 500M

In grub legacy that's (hd0,0)

> I then went back and installed the 2nd install of the Centos OS
> using
> lv2_root       root       /              10
> boot
> lv2_home     home    /home2      5
> lv2_apps      apps     /apps2       5
> lv2_backup  backup  /backup2    5
>
> the boot was set to be the "/" on the sda so  it's the same as the 1st..

This description isconfusing. You have two / on sda, VolGroup/lv_root and VolGroup-lv2_root. I have no idea what "same as the 1st" means because boot on rootfs is not the same thing as CentOS install #1 which uses a separate /boot on sda1.

> title Centos2 (2.6.32-431.e16.x86_64)
>    root (hd0,1)

This is pointing to /dev/sda2 which is LVM. /boot cannot be on LVM using grub legacy, so in fact you ought to use a single shared /boot since they're the same distro.

>    kernel /vmlinux-2.6.32-431.e16.x86_64 ro root=/dev/sda2

The root= entry is completely wrong, you're pointing gruby to an LVM PV rather than to the specific 2nd install root LV.

Chris Murphy