dual boot test

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Sat Dec 28 01:00:37 UTC 2013

On Dec 27, 2013 5:49 PM, "bruce" <badouglas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pete.
>
> The 1st OS will be the os that gets run, it's the "master".. However
> if I detect that it's hacked, I want to be able to reinstall the OS.
>
> Noramlly, you'd do that with a cd, and do it manually, but if you
> don't have access to the box, then what?
>
> My approach is to have a 2nd minimal system/OS that has the only
> function to invoke a complete/fresh netinstall to restore/refresh the
> OS on the 1st system.

Yes, but how do you plan to actually do it? Do you intend to write your own
installation program from scratch?  What makes a minimal installation
capable of performing a net install?

> This allows the 1st OS/system to be completely restored, wiping out
> any remnants of the hacked process.
>
> At the same time, the master/2nd OS will periodically update/restore
> the minimal/1st OS by the 2nd OS/system. This process allows the
> system to be able to be refreshed as required, with a clean OS..
>
> If you have a better approach, I'm open for discussion.

I do, but you don't seem interested. If you want to perform an
installation, boot the installer.  If you want to install using an
alternative boot option instead of with removable media, do a medialess
installation. There are instructions and examples in the installation
guide.

--Pete