failed to ..

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Dec 28 18:33:33 UTC 2013

On Dec 28, 2013, at 8:28 AM, Patrick Dupre <pdupre at gmx.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I did follow for the 4th times the Chris's recommendations:
> mount /dev/mapper/root1 /mnt/linux1 -o ro
> mount /dev/mapper/root2 /mnt/linux2
> cp -a /mnt/linux1/* /mnt/linux2
> cp -a /mnt/linux1/.readahead /mnt/linux2
> cp -a /mnt/linux1/boot /mnt/linux2
> (I did not have a rsync command on the gparted live distribution that I have)
> mount -B /run /mnt/linux2/run
> mount -B /proc /mnt/linux2/proc
> mount -B /dev /mnt/linux2/dev
> mount -B /sys /mnt/linux2/sys
> chroot /mnt/linux2
> vi /etc/fstab (to change to the new partitions labelling)

All of the above is fine except you haven't copied hidden files, so you probably need to correct that.

> dracut -f /boot/initramfs-3.12.5-200.fc19.i686.PAE.img

I'm not familiar with that syntax. From within /boot use:

dracut -f initramfs-3.12.5-200.fc19.i686.PAE.img 3.12.5-200.fc19.i686.PAE

Eventually you'll need to do this for each initramfs, or only one of them will work. Each kernel option has its own initramfs.

> Then I modify the original /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to get the booting on the
> clone without modifying the mbr (grub2-install)

You modify the original how? Are you using configfile to point to the clone's grub.cfg?

> And I get always the same behavior:
> failed to start .......
>   create static device modes in /dev
>   journal service
>   open pack file: permission denied

Try the above fixes and if it's still happening, take a cell phone photo of the failure and post it somewhere.

Chris Murphy