failed to ..

Patrick Dupre pdupre at gmx.com
Sat Dec 28 18:46:18 UTC 2013

Dear Chris,

> On Dec 27, 2013, at 7:25 PM, Patrick Dupre <pdupre at gmx.com> wrote:
> >
> > cp -a /mnt/linux1/* /mnt/linux2
>
> This does not copy .hidden files. There are quite a few:
You are right and wrong
cp -a copies all the hidden files located inside the sub-directories recursively
(I checked on that). The thing that if does not is copy the
hidden file located right in /mnt/linux. It is why I copies the only file
which is concerned (.readahead)
IE, that doing rsync -avAHX source/ destination is not going to help
I would have done it if gparted live was offering this option

There is something else to fix. I cannot guess what is it!

Regards.

> find / -name .\*
>

> > I do not like to use dd, because I want to keep the size of the 2 patitions are different
> > I could use tar -c tar -x
>
> I would sooner use rsync -avAHX source/ destination
>
> http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/#Rsync
>
> FYI new feature in Fedora 20 is LVM Thin Provisioning. You can create a snapshot of an existing LV and just use that as your new root. No copying. And it saves space because the snapshot uses the extents of the original (without changing them, changes cause new extents to be created that apply only to the snapshot). Basically the snapshot becomes a new LV.
>
> Chris Murphy
>
> --

 Patrick DUPRÉ                                 | | email: pdupre at gmx.com
 Laboratoire de Physico-Chimie de l'Atmosphère | |
 Université du Littoral-Côte d'Opale           | |
 Tel.  (33)-(0)3 28 23 76 12                   | | Fax: 03 28 65 82 44
 189A, avenue Maurice Schumann                 | | 59140 Dunkerque, France