System mail (Fedora 20)

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 12:02:06 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 12:52:12PM +0100, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 08:49:23AM +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 14:17:17 +0100
> > Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I know I can always look in the logs, but I would probably miss
> > > something if I have to do this manually for every daemon that is
> > > running.  It is much simpler to monitor this through system mail.
> > >
> > > Hence, I would like to know what happens if there is no MTA
> > > installed; do I still get system mail notifying me of cron jobs,
> > > denied hosts, etc?
> >
> > MTA is not necessary on a "single" box.
> >
> > Can your mua read system mail?
> > in claws-mail I added an account for system-mail.
> > so cron, logwatch journalctl etc. come to my inbox\subfolders.
> >
> > You should still have the old "mail (mailx)" installed rpm -q mailx
>
> I use mutt, so don't have problems reading system mail.
>
> Thank you for confirming, I have removed sendmail now.

This doesn't work.  I have a nightly cron job (run as root) I'm trying
to debug so I have it output debug information always.  I also have an
alias for root mail to me (local user) in /etc/aliases.  With sendmail,
this information was mailed to me.  Logs tell me last 3 days the job
ran, however I did not receive any of the mails.

I tested interactively by trying to send mail to root using the mail
program; it fails like this:

  # mail root
  Subject: Testing system mail 2
  Hi,

  Can you see me?

  Cheers,
  EOT
  /usr/sbin/sendmail: No such file or directory
  "/root/dead.letter" 13/241
  . . . message not sent.

After I install sendmail again and start the daemon with systemctl, the
above command succeeds and I (regular local user) get the test mail.

--
Suvayu