gnome-terminal in F20 defaults to / for the initial directory

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Dec 29 15:32:11 UTC 2013

Michael Schwendt writes:

> It may not even be a bug in Nautilus either, since other components take
> care of stopping/starting it (e.g. gnome-tweak-tool and gnome-shell).
>
> What happens if you kill all "nautilus" processes, then start a terminal
> (e.g. gnome-terminal) in a way that it starts in $HOME, then run
> "nautilus --no-default-window" manually? Does it also cwd to /? Or does
> it stay in $HOME? (you can also run it without options just in case)

It stays in $HOME, and gnome-terminal will come up in $HOME. So, this is
really an issue with nautilus getting started in /.

nautilus's parent process is init, no finger pointing as to what normally
starts it, but both the gnome-shell's and gnome-session's processes' current
directories are $HOME.

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 mrsam mrsam 0 Dec 29 10:15 /proc/32380/cwd → /home/mrsam
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 mrsam mrsam 0 Dec 29 10:10 /proc/32380/exe → /usr/bin/gnome-
session
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 mrsam mrsam 0 Dec 29 10:23 /proc/32601/cwd → /home/mrsam
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 mrsam mrsam 0 Dec 29 10:10 /proc/32601/exe → /usr/bin/gnome-
shell

I don't have anything custom in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d, just the stock
stuff that's installed by a couple of packages. Xclients.d is empty.

The only thing that was odd was that nautilus's full command line is
/usr/bin/nautilus --no-default-window, however gnome-session-properties had
an entry for "nautilus -n" only. Something else must really be kicking off
nautilus, and the gnome-session entry must've been inherited from earlier
fedora releases (so it wouldn't be there for new user accounts) when
nautilus was getting started from gnome-session, and now the second process
is a no-op. Verified this from the command line, removed the entry for
Nautilus from gnome-session-properties, logged out and back in, nautilus
still gets started from /.

So, I'm guessing that gnome-shell currently starts nautilus. But I don't see
anything that the gnome-shell rpm installs in /etc